Thursday, September 8, 2011

Portrait of cyclist Flavia Oliveira for R/GA San Francisco





Flavia Oliveira is a talented and determined cyclist based in California. I shot Flavia's portrait first for a personal project early last year, at Mount Diablo. I had the opportunity to shoot her again last year, as per R/GA San Francisco's request. Creative director Ricardo Ladin wanted her portrait to be bold and sharpen. Symmetrical octabanks positioned from above created an even front light, while strip banks on the sides helped defining her sillhouette.

I don't work in studios very often, most of the time I work on locations with studio lighting. I have fun integrating giving space and light conditions and artificial lighting. Also, working on location it's always possible to incorporate casual elements to the shoot, and I really like that characteristic. A studio, on the other hand, is a much more controlled environment. The results are more predictable than working on location. In this case, we knew exactly how the images had to look at the end, so the studio portrait was our best option. And it was so much fun!

No comments: